Thursday, May 13, 2010

Trunk and I Reveal

Normally I post about my favorite movies but today I am posting reviews for two shorts I was recently asked to review. I have offered to give reviews of anything and will post them from time to time as I recieve them. Luckily the first two I recieved were actually good. Trunk and I Reveal by Waterfoot Films. First up Trunk.
The short begins with a girl waking up in surprise, surprise a trunk. To be precise a car trunk. How did she get here? It is revealed she is dealing with an abusive father still dealing with the fact his wife left. After he becomes physically violent with she decides to runaway and sneaks out. After several attempts she is finally able to get a ride. The man who picks her up seems okay; he even tells her he reminds her of his daughter he hasn't seen in many years. Just as he starts to tell her a story to reveal a bit about his past a tire goes flat on his car. As she waits for him to change the tire she begins to get worried about what he is really after and begins to devise a plan to get away. What will happen? You'll have to watch the short and see.
Overall while there are cliches; the tire blowout for instance, the story does keep your attention. While you might think it is going to be a horror story; ultimately it has a lot of heart to it. It takes and interweaves several negatives into a positive message which is rare these days. The cinematography is absolutely beautiful for a short; the exteriors are amazing. The only fault I had was some minor sound issues but again for a short it was still well made. I highly recommend Trunk. Go to the links provided and add coments.

Next we have I Reveal. This one has a more religious theme to it. While I'm not big on religious films again the story kept me intrigued. At the start Gabe; a young preacher, has "a vision" and during the process he is blinded. He has been chosen to relay a message by God.

When he gives the message to his fellow churchgoers they are not happy to hear it. It basically has to deal with the fact that the church has been pickng and choosing who they can forgive and who they will not. Naturally the church elders are enraged and warn Gabe about his action. But Gabe most endure a steadily increasing amount of strife as he continues to speak for God. One of his most difficult is seeking out his estranged wife who had cheated in him years before.
While he eventually recovers his sight any joy from that small victory is short lived by the new challenges before him. Will he be successful with his struggle or will he choose to ignore God? Again you will have to watch and see. Once again the film is shot beautifully. The story is constructed very well so you will want to see what happens with Gabe. Yes there are fire and brimstone type moments but there is never the feeling of being talked down to by the message being sent. Overall both Trunk and I Reveal are excellent shorts and hopefully just the first of more to come. Watch them both you'll enjoy them.

http://vimeo.com/10412600 Trunk

http://vimeo.com/10694330 I Reveal

2 comments:

  1. I think they have mad skills. Lots of talent from those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see both of these, your review has moved me. Bravo !

    ReplyDelete